8 Must Try Kenyan Mandazi Recipes for Autumn


Mandazi is one of those Kenyan treats that can turn an ordinary morning into something special. For many families, the smell of mandazi frying in hot oil brings back memories of school holidays, Sunday breakfasts, visiting grandparents, or sitting around the kitchen waiting for the first batch to cool. Although traditional mandazi is delicious on its own, Kenyan home cooks have always found simple ways to give it a personal touch. A little cinnamon here, some cardamom there, lemon zest, sesame seeds, or a generous spoonful of butter can transform the familiar pastry into something completely different.

Over the years, I have made mandazi in many different ways. Sometimes I follow a recipe exactly, and other times I experiment with whatever I have in the kitchen. That is how I ended up with these eight favorite mandazi

Here are eight mandazi variations worth trying, each with its own flavor and a story inspired by everyday Kenyan life.

Each one has its own little story.

1. Cinnamon Mandazi, my weekend experiment


I remember the first time I added cinnamon to my mandazi dough. It was a Saturday morning, and I was preparing breakfast for my family. I had already measured my flour and gathered the usual ingredients when I noticed a jar of cinnamon sitting on the kitchen shelf.

I thought, "Why not?"

I had made ordinary mandazi so many times that I wanted to try something different. I added cinnamon to the flour, mixed everything together, and continued preparing the dough. As soon as the first batch hit the hot oil, the kitchen filled with the warm smell of cinnamon. My siblings came running asking what I was cooking. I told them it was mandazi, but they didn't believe me. The smell was different from what they were used to. When I finally put the first batch on a plate, everyone wanted to taste one immediately. They were still warm, and the cinnamon gave them a lovely sweetness and warmth. That was the day cinnamon mandazi became a regular in my kitchen. Now, whenever I make them, I think about that Saturday morning and how one small experiment became a family favorite.

Find the full recipe

2. Nutmeg-Spiced Mandazi, the spice I almost forgot


Nutmeg was not a spice I normally thought about when making mandazi. One afternoon, I was preparing dough and looking through my spice cupboard when I found a small container of nutmeg that I had bought for another recipe. I wondered what it would taste like in mandazi. I decided to try it. I didn't want the nutmeg to overpower everything, so I added just enough to give the dough a gentle aroma. After rolling and cutting the dough, I fried the mandazi as usual. The smell surprised me. There was something warm and slightly sweet about the aroma. When I took my first bite, I realized that nutmeg gave the mandazi a deeper flavor than I expected. I served them with tea, and everyone asked what I had added. When I told them it was nutmeg, they were surprised. Since then, nutmeg mandazi has become one of my favorite versions when I want something a little different from the usual cardamom or cinnamon. It taught me something I have learned many times in the kitchen: sometimes the ingredients we overlook can create the most interesting recipes.

Find full recipe

3. Lemon Cinnamon Mandazi, When I couldn't choose


I once found myself standing in the kitchen with two flavors I really loved: fresh lemon and cinnamon. I was making mandazi that day, and I had planned to use cinnamon. But while preparing the ingredients, I had the idea of adding lemon zest too. At first, I wasn't sure. Would the lemon work with cinnamon? There was only one way to find out. I grated some fresh lemon zest into the dough and added my cinnamon. As I mixed everything together, the kitchen started smelling bright and citrusy, with the familiar warmth of cinnamon underneath. I knew I had made the right decision before the mandazi even reached the frying pan. When they were frying, the aroma was incredible. The first bite was even better. The cinnamon gave the mandazi warmth while the lemon added a fresh, slightly tangy fragrance. I served them with tea that afternoon, and they disappeared much faster than I expected. That combination has stayed with me ever since. Whenever I want mandazi that feels a little more special, lemon and cinnamon are the two flavors I reach for.

Find full recipe

4. Orange Zest Mandazi, my No-waste idea


I came up with orange zest mandazi on a day when I was preparing oranges for breakfast. I had several fresh oranges on the counter, and as I peeled them, I noticed how fragrant the skin was. I didn't want to throw all that beautiful aroma away. So I decided to grate some of the orange zest and add it to my mandazi dough. I had never tried it before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. As soon as the mandazi started frying, I knew I had discovered something good. The smell of orange filled the kitchen and made everyone curious about what I was cooking. The finished mandazi had a delicate citrus aroma. They still tasted like mandazi, but the orange gave them a fresh and slightly sweet character. I remember sitting down with a cup of tea and thinking that sometimes the simplest ideas are the ones worth keeping. Now, whenever I have fresh oranges, I save some of the zest for mandazi. It's a small addition, but it makes such a difference.

Find full recipe

5. Cardamom-Spiced Mandazi, the taste of home


Cardamom mandazi takes me straight back to mornings when the whole house smelled of tea and freshly fried pastries. Growing up, cardamom was one of those spices that seemed to appear whenever something special was being prepared. I especially remember mornings when relatives were visiting. Someone would be making tea, someone else would be preparing breakfast, and I would be in the kitchen helping with the mandazi. The cardamom would be crushed and added to the dough, and the moment the mandazi started frying, that familiar aroma would spread throughout the house. Everyone knew breakfast was almost ready. I still love that smell. Whenever I make cardamom mandazi today, I feel like I am recreating a small part of those mornings. The flavor is warm, fragrant, and unmistakable. I love eating the mandazi while they are still slightly warm, preferably with a steaming cup of Kenyan chai. For me, cardamom mandazi isn't just a recipe. It tastes like home.

Find full recipe

6. Lemon Mandazi, my fresh citrus twist


I started making lemon mandazi because I had more lemons than I knew what to do with. I had been using them for tea, cooking, and other recipes, but there were still several sitting in my kitchen. One day, while preparing mandazi, I decided to add some lemon zest to the dough. I also added a little lemon juice. I wasn't trying to create anything fancy. I simply wanted to use what I had. The result surprised me. The mandazi had a lovely citrus fragrance and a lighter flavor than the heavily spiced versions I usually made. My family enjoyed them immediately. I especially liked them in the afternoon. After lunch, I would make tea, put a plate of lemon mandazi on the table, and somehow the plate would be empty before long. That's how this recipe became part of my regular rotation. Whenever I have fresh lemons in the kitchen now, I already know what I'm going to make. 

Find full recipe

7. Butter Mandazi, the special breakfast version


Butter mandazi came from one of those mornings when I wanted to make breakfast feel a little more special. I wasn't preparing for a celebration. There wasn't a birthday or holiday. I simply wanted something richer than my usual mandazi. So I added butter to the dough. It was a simple change, but I noticed the difference immediately. The dough felt richer, and while the mandazi were cooking, the buttery aroma filled the kitchen. When I served them, everyone noticed the difference. They were soft, rich, and wonderfully fragrant. My children especially liked eating them warm, straight from the kitchen. I had to remind everyone to leave some for the rest of the family. Since then, butter mandazi has become my choice whenever I want breakfast to feel a little more indulgent. I make them on quiet weekends, during holidays, and whenever family members come to visit. Sometimes you don't need an elaborate recipe to make a meal memorable. Sometimes a little butter is enough.

Find full recipe

8. Sesame Seeds Mandazi, my crunchy experiment


I have always liked sesame seeds. I use them on bread, pastries, and sometimes other homemade snacks, so one day I decided to see what would happen if I added them to mandazi. I prepared my usual dough and sprinkled sesame seeds over the pieces before cooking. As the mandazi fried, the seeds toasted slightly. The smell was wonderful. When I took my first bite, I loved the contrast. The mandazi was soft inside, while the sesame seeds added a gentle crunch and nutty flavor. It was such a simple idea, but everyone noticed the difference. I started making sesame seed mandazi whenever we had afternoon tea or visitors. They looked slightly different from ordinary mandazi, and the little seeds made them feel special without requiring much extra effort. Now, sesame seeds are one of my favorite additions when I want to change up my usual mandazi recipe. 

Find full recipe

So why do I keep coming back to Mandazi?

After making all these different versions, I have realized that what I love most about mandazi is how easy it is to make it your own. Sometimes I want the warmth of cinnamon. Other times I reach for cardamom. When I have lemons or oranges, I turn to citrus flavors. When I want something richer, I make butter mandazi. And when I want a little texture, sesame seeds are my answer.

These recipes have become part of my kitchen in different ways, but they all have one thing in common: they bring people to the table. For me, that is what makes mandazi special. It isn't just about the flour, spices, butter, or seeds. It is about making something with my hands and watching everyone gather around the kitchen waiting for the first warm piece.

And somehow, no matter how many times I make them, that never gets old.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Nairobi Kitchen
Maira Gall