Sunday 30 July 2017

POPPY SEEDS - SEEDS OF THE WEEK

poppy-seed-seeds-of-the-week-nairobi-kitchen-ingredients

Nuts. Who doesn't love nuts. Seeds. Who doesn't love Seeds. Yeah, it's that day of the week, a lazy Sunday. Don't mind my random rambles. Seriously now. In my quest to add more plant based nutrients to my diet, I have been discovering different kinds of Seeds that are highly nutritious and add flavour and taste to food. I will be featuring them once in a while and even including them in recipes. Today's Seed being featured is the Poppy Seeds. I must say I have never used them before. I just saw them in a Bread recipe and went to look for them. Who knew there was a whole section in the supermarket dedicated to seeds? You probably knew didn't you? Some things you only discover when you really need them.

Now Poppy Seeds will become a huge feature in my cooking from now on.Most seeds you can eat them raw, dry roast them or soak them and use in your cooking. Like nuts, Seeds are highly nutritious and have plenty of benefits for the body. Poppy Seeds are awesome in cooking especially baking as they not only add flavour to the dish, but also add a lovely pattern to your food. It's just exciting when you bite into a pastry and see those lovely grains of Poppy Seeds then taste the crunch in them. This week the Poppy Seed will be the 'ingredient of the week' where I will feature it in my recipes for the week. This is going to be a fun week! Can't wait!
poppy-seeds-seeds-of-the-week-nairobi-kitchen-ingredients

Poppy seed is an oilseed obtained from the poppy. Nutty and pleasant in taste, poppy seeds are nutritious oilseeds used as a condiment in cooking.  In a 100 gram amount, poppy seeds provide 525 Calories and are a rich source of thiamin, folate, and several essential minerals, including calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc . Poppy seeds are composed of 6% water, 28% carbohydrates, 42% fat, and 21% protein .

No comments

Post a Comment

© Nairobi Kitchen
Maira Gall