Friday 22 September 2017

RADISSON BLU LARDER - RESTAURANT REVIEW


Hope y'all been good this past few days that I haven't been around. Life happens and then you find yourself not entering the kitchen for a while. I have been cooking, in my mind though, but I promise I will be cooking for real soon! Enough chit chatter, lets get to the matter at hand. My first restaurant review! I've always seen Radison Blu Nairobi from afar and always wanted to give it a peek and see the inside of such a beautiful building. I had heard rave reviews and it seemed like a mighty fine place to wine and dine.A week ago I got the chance to just do that, the dine part 😉.. It was a family dinner and so it was a really great evening. We had wanted the buffet but we were informed it wasn't a busy night so it was not available. Not willing to dampen our mood, we settled for the ala carte menu. So let's begin the evening reminiscings


Table setting

I loved how they set for us. We were planning a surprise so the hostess went out of her way to create the perfect yet romantic mood at the table. I think I got her excited about our surprise that she apologised that it was only the roses that she could not get. How lovely!
Since it was a dinner for 7. Each seat was set with cutlery, a wine glass, water glass and the usual salt and spices for dinning. The white linen was folded into a fan shape. The table was decorated with little love heart cut outs and funfetti here and there. Candles were set inside glass jars surrounded by white napkins emitting purple like glow on the table. Mood set.


I love how these white table napkins were folded. The table setting was perfect and inviting for our dinner.


I'm obseesed with decor and I couldn't help getting a black and white shot of this wine glass, cutlery and napkin


I loved the ambience at Larder restaurant. Soft jazzy background music played around us, lighting was warm and the wait stuff were pleasant


So lets get it on with the food. Radison Blu Nairobi has two restaurants. The Chop House and Larder where we were. Larder does not offer alcoholic drinks so we all ordered different juices.
I ordered the Mango juice, which was pleasant and cold, the way I like my mango juice


For starters Larder offers various options, though that night there wasn't too many options like I had seen on their menu earlier. There was only one option for soup. I had Roasted Pumpkin Soup with sauteed Prawn. The pumpkin soup was infused with cinnamon and coconut cream. In my life the one thing that I can never eat is pumpkin! So going against all my disdain of the pumpkin and the waiter really jazzing it up I decided to give it a try. Perfect. Is what I can say. The soup was smooth, delicious without being overly salty or bland. The cinnamon and the coconut cream just added another level to it. Never say never, but I'm still not eating pumpkin! First time tasting Prawns, already addicted to them, deliciousness in a small package!


The soup was served with mini buns and butter of course. The buns were so soft and delicious I almost ate all of them!


The pumpkin soup, sauteed prawn and buns were a match made on earth. I would totally eat this starter again. and again. Delish!


For the main, I chose Lamb Korma. There was an option for chicken too but I wanted something different.


The Lamb Korma is slow cooked lamb curry in Kashmiri spices served with fragrant white rice, crispy Papadom and Condiments. Condiments being corriander raita and sweet chutney
Do not dare attempt this dish if you do not like spices. Lamb Korma is spicy, very spicy. I did not like the Papadom which was spicy as well, maybe its an acquired taste. You just have to taste it to decide whether you like Popadam. The chutney was sweet which balanced the spice in the lamb korma well


The rice was a bit dry though delicious all the same but I guess that is what the curry is for. I liked their portions, you eat to your fill


I was too full for dessert but some got ice cream. It was neopolitan ice cream which I tasted of course. There is always room for dessert ice cream!


Overall Larder restaurant is a place I would go again, hopefully they will have more options in terms of items on their menu. Next time I go again I will definitely get photos of the decor. I loved their decor! So till next hunt for good places, cheers to good food!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Nairobi Kitchen
Maira Gall