Monday 16 July 2018

BLUEBERRY SORBET


I love yoghurt and if I could I would take it everyday I really would. And what better way to make yoghurt even more delicious - not that it needs any more deliciousness. I've always wanted to try making frozen yogurt, and even though it is still cold here in Nairobi, I can't help in indulging in one or two frozen treats. That's how far my love for frozen treats goes, I would eat ice cream while it is raining! I made homemade cookies and cream icecream, my all time favourite ice cream flavour! Now back to today's recipe. Sorbet is a combination of yoghurt and your favourite fruits. You can choose to use one fruit or even use a combination of two or more fruits. Today I decided to go with blueberries. Not only are they full of nutrients and healthy benefits but I do love the purple color that they usually have when you blend or even cook with them. With only three ingredients, you get a delicious frozen dessert that you can enjoy during the summer days. This recipe serves up to 3 people but if you are like me, you can just devour half of it. Especially sitting at the balcony legs on a stool drinking in the Nairobi sun, watching the neighborhood life sizzle by. Trust me this blueberry sorbet  treat is that good!
INGREDIENTS


4 Cups frozen Blueberries
2 Cups Plain Yoghurt
3-4 Tablespoons Honey

METHOD

Pour the frozen blueberries in a high powered blender or food processor


Pour in the plain yoghurt


Add in the honey


All the ingredients ready to be blended


Blend the mixture to smooth consistency, use spatula to scrape the sides so that everything is blended evenly


Do not blend too long or the sorbet will start to melt


Pour in a container, cover the top of the  container with cling film pressed into the sorbet, this is to prevent crystals from forming on top. Freeze 6 hours or overnight


Once the blueberry sorbet has set and frozen well, use an ice cream scoop to serve the treat in individual bowls. 


BLUEBERRY SORBET 

Recipe by Mulunga Alukwe

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: Freeze 6 hours
Total time: 6 hours 10 minutes
Yield: 1 litre Tub
Ingredients
  • 4 Cups Frozen Blueberries
  • 2 Cups Plain Yoghurt
  • 3-4 Tablespoons Honey
Cooking Directions
  1. Add frozen blueberries, yoghurt and honey in a blender
  2. Blend until smooth but not too long so that the frozen yoghurt does not melt
  3. Pour the frozen blue berry yoghurt in a freezable container, cover with cling film to prevent crystals forming at the top
  4. Freeze the blueberry sorbet for 6 hours or overnight

No comments

Post a Comment

© Nairobi Kitchen
Maira Gall