Thursday 20 February 2020

RED VELVET CRINKLE COOKIES


I saw these delicious cookies and I knew I had to try them. They looked so fluffy and soft that I feel in love with them. I love anything red velvet so you do not have to sell me twice about these sweet morsels. Perfect for Valentines' Day, Christmas or any holiday that your heart is set on. As far as cookies go, I think this is my favourite, coming a close second to chocolate cookies, that reminds me, this year I have to make them! I always enjoy the store bought ones but it is time I filled my house with the sweet aroma of baking cookies. I cannot wait, especially now that I have moved into my own house, so excited to try out the recipes I have been postponing for too long. I even have some recipes that are in draft form for 2018! What? All 68 of them, just waiting to be created. This beginning of the year will be the time to finish any left over recipes on my blog and develop new ones. Meanwhile, enjoy the video that I made on my YOU TUBE channel below. Leave a comment and let me know what you love about red velvet cookies.
Ingredients


3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
Pinch Salt
3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
1 1/3 Cups Sugar
3 Eggs
1 Tablespoon Milk
1 ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
5 Teaspoon Red Food Color
1 Cup Powdered Sugar

Method

In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside





Sieve the dry ingredients


Add 2 eggs in a different bowl


Add butter


In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter, eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy.  Mix in milk, vanilla essence and red food coloring.


Mix dry and wet ingredients. Knead until soft dough forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill 2 hours or until firm enough to shape into balls.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Pour powdered sugar into a bowl. Remove dough from refrigerator, scoop dough out and with buttered hands, and shape into medium balls
Roll the balls into powdered sugar and evenly coat. Transfer to buttered baking pan. Bake in preheated oven 13 - 14 minutes. 


Allow to rest on baking pan several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. 



I love the crinkle effect on the cookies!


The powdered sugar adds a touch of fluffiness and sweetness



Store in an airtight container for later, though they will not last that long




RED VELVET CRINKLE COOKIES

Recipe by Mulunga Alukwe

Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 50 Minutes
Total time: 55 Minutes
Yield: 16 Cookies

Ingredients

  • 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • 2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • Pinch Salt
  • 3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
  • 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
  • 5 Teaspoon Red Food Color
  • 1 ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
  • 1 Tablespoon Milk
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1 1/3 Cups Sugar
Cooking Directions
  1. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside
  2. Sieve the dry ingredients. Add 2 eggs in a different bowl. Add butter
  3. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter, eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in milk, vanilla essence and red food coloring.
  4. Mix dry and wet ingredients. Knead until soft dough forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill 2 hours or until firm enough to shape into balls.
  5. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Pour powdered sugar into a bowl. Remove dough from refrigerator, scoop dough out and with buttered hands, and shape into medium balls
  6. Roll the balls into powdered sugar and evenly coat. Transfer to buttered baking pan. Bake in preheated oven 13 - 14 minutes.
  7. Allow to rest on baking pan several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  8. I love the crinkle effect on the cookies!
  9. The powdered sugar adds a touch of fluffiness and sweetness
  10. Store in an airtight container for later, though they will not last that long

1 comment

  1. I have never blogged a day in my life, nor am I completely computer savy, but I thought this might be a fun thing to try. :) I guess I should start out by saying my name is Melissa and I am married to the most wonderful man in all the world! I have three beautiful children with unique personalities all their own. I'm one blessed gal! We live in a semi-small town in the lovely state of Kentucky. We own a two story home there and we've worked tirelessly to create a warm, cozy atmosphere for our family. We bought our home about 3 years ago and boy oh boy was it a mess. It had been repossessed by the bank and the previous owners made sure they took EVERYTHING that wasn't tied down. I'm talking EVERYTHING! There were no light fixtures or appliances (well except for the partially hanging microwave that they couldn't figure out how to get off the wall), no closet organizers........heck, they even took the light switch plates and outlet covers! lol We had our hands full. It has taken everyday of the three years we have been here to get it to the point where it is now, but it no longer looks like the shell of a house it once was. It now has new flooring, paint and it's filled with goodies I've found on shopping trips and it's decorated from corner to corner. Hey, we even have light fixtures and appliances......imagine that! I call our house our cottage and I get some pretty good laughs because it's not a typical cottage sized house....it's about 2200 sq feet. I guess that might be small to some, but it was big for us.....see we moved from a house of about 1000 sq feet.........which felt MUCH more like a cottage size. :) I have a wreath with a sign inside that says welcome to our cottage......that sign gets lots of chuckles........but to me our house is full of Cottage Charm and will always be the "little" cottage of our dreams.

    ReplyDelete

© Nairobi Kitchen
Maira Gall